Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Every Wednesday night The Hammondsport Firefighters have a work session to do maintainence and check the trucks out for service. This is an important task to make sure the apparatus is allways at the ready in case of an emergency.
The Firefighters do a number of tasks on Wednesday nights. Keeping the trucks clean and in good working order is a must for any department. They also check the portable equipment like, saws, portable pumps, Jaws of life, and the portable lighting systems and generators.
Friday, October 15, 2010 7:39:13
At approximately 07:30 hours this morning Car 21 called in an MVA of a car over an embankment that had gone through a power pole.
2101, car 21, Rescue 7 and Engine 24 responded with15 volunteers. 3103 the assistant Chief from pultney fire was on scene and checked the car to find that there was no occupant. upon arrival of rescue 7 the firefighters deployed and staged the rope rescue equipment and stood by until the determination was made if they would be needed or not. After command found out that there was no occupant all members were held on scene to stand by for the removal of the vehicle. All units were back in service in about 2 hours.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
The Hammondsport Volunteers conducted their annual fire drills at the Hammondsport Central School for fire prevention week. This Activity gives the public and the students a look at what kind of work goes into fighting a fire and also gives the members a chance to practice in case there ever was an emergency at this campus of buildings.
The Firefighters conducted roof operations and search evolutions as part of their drill. Several members used the Truck 2 with a combination of ground ladders and the Aeriel ladder to gain access to the roof to check the roof vents and sky lights for location to better ready themselves for any emergency involving fire.
Members with the rescue and engine companies patrolled the halls of the school to make sure that everyone was out of the building and also made sure that doors and windows were all closed.
The Hammondsport Fire Department is all ways committed to keeping up to date on their training to be able to handle an emergency if the need ever arises.
Monday, October 4, 2010
Cold weather is on its way! This means we should be getting our wood stoves and heaters in working order for the winter months. Having a qualified heating technician service and clean your furnace is a sure way to get a safe start to the cold weather season. We should also be making sure that the batteries in our carbon monoxide detectors are new and that the detector is in good working order. For those of you that burn wood in the winter, now would be a good time to start looking for a qualified contractor to clean and inspect the chimney for cracks and problems that may cause an emergency or even a fire in your home! Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the United States. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, "there are approximately 2,100 unintentional deaths from carbon monoxide (CO) every year in the U.S. and the use of CO Alarms could potentially prevent many of these fatalities." In addition, more than 10,000 CO injuries occur annually from this colorless, odorless and tasteless poison.Carbon monoxide (CO) can be produced when burning any fuel: gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood and coal. It is the product of incomplete combustion. Carbon monoxide can kill in minutes or hours depending on the level of CO in the air.If CO is inhaled at damaging levels it can lead to breathing difficulties, impaired judgment and memory, damage to the nervous system, cardiac trauma, brain damage, coma and even death.Everyone is susceptible, but experts agree that unborn babies, young children, pregnant women, senior citizens and people with heart or respiratory problems are especially vulnerable and are at the highest risk for death or serious injury.Symptoms of carbon monoxide:Initial symptoms are similar to the flu with no fever. Dizziness, fatigue/weakness, throbbing headache, nausea/vomiting, irregular breathing, sleepiness and confusion can all be possible symptoms.Potential sources of carbon monoxide:Any fuel burning appliance that is malfunctioning or improperly installed can be a source of CO. These can include furnaces, gas range/stove, gas clothes dryer, water heater, gas or wood fireplaces, wood-burning stove and auto exhaust from an attached garage. Other sources include clogged chimneys or flues, vent pipes, fuel burning space heaters, tools that run on fuel in an area that is not vented, a gas or charcoal grill used in an enclosed area, certain types of swimming pool heaters, boats and RV's. Back drafting and changes in air pressure can cause indoor levels of CO.Installing a quality CO detector is one sure way to avoid any problems with carbon monoxide. If the alarm goes off, immediately call 911! And get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible! Following some of these tips can assure that you will have a great start to the cold weather season!
www.hfd-ny.com is back! Here you will find information and news articles about the Hammondsport Fire Department and its members! Many months of planning Have gone into this website and we hope you enjoy it and find it very usefull! Please be sure to check our fire prevention page for seasonal tips on fire and life safety. And also please remember to stop by just to see what the department has been up to. we will be doing updates as often as possible about drills we are conducting and other community events, not to mention we will also be putting up information about the types of calls and alarms that we may run on any given day. Things on this site will be changing from day to day because we are still under construction. so check back often for updates.
Site designed and maintained by